Short S.3b Chamois

One prototype flown in 1927. No production.

Engine: 1 x 425hp Bristol Jupiter 9-cylinder air-cooled radial
Wingspan: 13.74 m / 45 ft 1 in
Length: 9.17 m / 30 ft 1 in
Wing area: 40.88 sq.m / 440.03 sq ft
Max take-off weight: 1911 kg / 4213 lb
Empty weight: 1235 kg / 2723 lb
Max. speed: 187 km/h / 116 mph
Ceiling: 4450 m / 14600 ft
Armament: 1 x Lewis gun, 2 x 50kg bombs
Crew: 2

Short Silver Streak

Designers began metal construction although Britain tended to redesign biplanes of the wood era in metal. An exception was Oswald Short’s Silver Streak of 1920. An all-metal ‘monocoque’ structure with a duralumin stressed skin fuselage and wings, but this method was not generally adopted until the 1930s.

Engine: One 240 hp Siddeley Puma
Length 26.4 ft (8.04 m)
Wing span 37.5 ft (11.43 m)
Weight empty 1,865 lb (846 kg)
Cruise speed: 90 mph (145 kph)
Range: 450 miles (725 km)
Seats: 1

Short Bomber

Basically a 1915 landplane version of the Short 184 powered normally by a 186kW Rolls-Royce Eagle III engine and featuring a four-wheel main landing gear.

Eighty-two production aircraft were built for the RNAS out of 110 ordered, some of which were later transferred to the RFC and one was presented to the French government.

Engine: 1 x 225hp Sunbeam or 1 x 250hp Rolls-Royce (Eagle)
Max take-off weight: 3087 kg / 6806 lb
Empty weight: 2270 kg / 5005 lb
Wingspan: 85 ft 0 in
Length: 13.72 m / 45 ft 0 in
Height: 4.57 m / 15 ft 0 in
Wing area: 80.83 sq.m / 870.05 sq ft
Max. speed: 124 km/h / 77 mph
Ceiling: 3231 m / 10600 ft
Armament: 1 x 7.7mm machine-gun, 6 x 30kg bombs

Short 184 / 225

A three bay biplane with two spar wooden wngs and wooden fuselage, all fabric covered. Conventional control surfaces with ailerons on all four wings. There were two main, flat bottomed, floats with a small float at each wingtip and under the tail. The wings folded for storage.

First entering service with the RNAS in early 1915, the Short 184 had a long career and remained fully active until the Armistice – more than 900 being completed. Its initial power plant of a 167kW / 225 hp Sunbeam gave rise to the often quoted designation Short 225. Several different engines were fitted during the production run.

The 184/225 was the first aircraft to sink a ship by torpedo when it attacked a Turkish troopship during the Gallipoli campaign.

This naval aircraft was the only floatplane to take part in the battle of Jutland in 1916, when one was used for reconnaissance. An official letter written to Messrs Short Bros with regard to the work performed by a Short 184 in spotting enemy ships during the Battle of Jutland in May 1916 stated: ‘ . . . the flight made by Flight Lieut Rutland, with Assistant Paymaster Trewin, as observer, which Sir David Beatty praises so highly, was carried out on a 225hp Short Seaplane.’

A number of Short 184s were taken on charge post-war by other countries.

At its Norwich factory Mann, Egerton & Co built 12 Short 184 or Mann, Egerton Type A seaplanes

Gallery

Engine: One 225 hp / 194kW Sunbeam Maori
Length 40.6 ft. (12.37 m)
Wing span 63.5 ft (19.35 m)
Height: 4.11 m / 14 ft 6 in
Wing area: 63.92 sq.m / 688.03 sq ft
Weight empty 3,703 lb (1,679 kg)
Max take-off weight: 2433 kg / 5364 lb
Max speed: 88 mph (142 kmph)
Ceiling 9,000 ft (2,740 m) fully loaded
Endurance 2.75 hr
Seats: 2
Armament: One 7.7mm machine gun, in rear cockpit
Bombload: One 14 in: (35 cm) torpedo, or 520 lb. (240 kg.) bombs

Engine: One Sunbeam 260 hp
Wing span 63 ft 6 in (19.35 m)
Wing area: 63.92 sq.m / 688.03 sq ft
Length 40 ft 7.5 in (12.37 m)
Height: 4.11 m / 13 ft 6 in
Weight empty 3,703 lb (1,679 kg)
Max take-off weight: 2433 kg / 5364 lb
Max speed: 88 mph (142 kmph) at 2000 ft
Service ceiling 9,000 ft (2,740 m) fully loaded
Endurance 2.75 hr
Armament: One 7.7mm machine gun, in rear cockpit
Bombload: One 14 in: (35 cm) torpedo, or 520 lb. (240 kg.) bombs
Seats: 2

Short S.42

Short No. 42 converted to a landplane. This machine commenced its career in the Naval Wing of the R.F.C. (as it was then known) at the Seaplane Station, Leven, Fifeshire, in July 1913 under Maj. R. Gordon, R.M.L.I., and was converted to a landplane at Dundee in the summer of 1914 and flown from a small strip at the Seaplane Station, Dundee, by.Maj. Gordon.

A small party left Eastchurch in July 1913 to open the seaplane base at Leven, the complement of machines being Short seaplane No. 42, one Borel monoplane on floats and later one Henri Farman seaplane.

Short S.39 / Triple-Twin

The Short Brothers designed and built a variant of the S.27-type with two engines which could be shut down independently; this biplane, S.39, could maintain flight on either one of its two engines and was thus the first example in the world of twin engines being used to enhance safety.

The S.39 was structurally the same as the improved Farman-Sommer-type Short biplane of 1911 apart from the nacelle and power plant arrangement; it had a stronger chassis laterally braced by struts, three rudders below the tailplane and a front elevator carried on inset pivots by booms pitched closer together than normal. The nacelle contained a cockpit with two seats side-by-side and carried a 50 hp Gnome engine and propeller on a standard overhung pusher mounting at the back; another 50 hp Gnome was mounted at the front, rotating in the opposite direction so that gyroscopic moments cancelled out when both engines were running. The forward engine drove two wing-mounted tractor airscrews through Wright-type Renold chain gears, the port chain being crossed to obtain counter-rotation, and the ‘bent-end’ airscrews were exactly like those made for the Short-Wright biplanes.

S.39, known as the Triple-Twin, was first flown on 18 September, 1911, by Frank McClean; he made a brief solo flight, then, with Samson as passenger, flew eight wide circuits of Eastchurch aerodrome, throttling back each engine in turn and experiencing for the first time the luxury of an ample speed range while flying a level course. The effect of the outboard slipstream on lateral control was not up to Horace Short’s expectations, but he was pleased with the Triple-Twin’s overall performance and next decided to try the effect of co-axial counter-rotation on stability. The first step was to convert Cecil Grace’s old S.27 to a similar twin-engined layout, but with the front engine direct-coupled to an airscrew, as shown in patent No. 22,675 of 1911.

This version was called the Tandem-Twin, or, less formally, the Gnome Sandwich, and retained the original S.27 wings and cambered tail unit unchanged except for the addition of two extra top rudders. The chassis was strengthened in the same way as for S.39, and the existing front elevator and booms were retained, since they allowed adequate clearance for the central airscrew. The Tandem-Twin was flown by McClean on 29 October, 1911, without any preliminary taxying; after a short flight at 100 ft he landed and expressed even more satisfaction than with the Triple-Twin; he spent the rest of the day taking up various passengers to test their reactions to the slipstream and to the location of the rear propeller only 10 in behind their heads. The draught in the cockpit was quite powerful and the Tandem-Twin soon acquired yet another soubriquet – The Vacuum Cleaner – and was credited with the ability ‘to pull the hairs out of a fur coat’; this was mainly due to the open hole in the floor, which was the only means of access. The Tandem-Twin could maintain height with either engine throttled back, but was unstable in every direction, due to insufficient aileron power and to unpredictable variations in torque reaction with the rear propeller working in the wake of the front one. Horace Short investigated this effect very thoroughly and deduced design rules for the relative diameters and pitches of tandem airscrews which were still valid 20 years later.

He also designed a larger biplane with two central engines of 120 hp each, driving four propellers arranged in tandem pairs in the wings, with independent chain gears for the front and rear engines. He obtained a number of patents (Nos. 8,108, 8,394 and 22,750 of 1911) for co-axial and interconnected airscrews, but the four-screw aeroplane was never built; however, Maurice Egerton apparently had his S.35 biplane converted into a Triple-Twin and flew it regularly from April 1912 onwards. Both S.39 and S.27 were flown at first without wing extensions, and on 21 November, 1911, they were raced by Longmore and Gerrard respectively; both did better than 55 mph, but S.39 seemed to have the edge over S.27. In December, S.39 was fitted with extensions and double fuel capacity; in February 1912, S.39’s extensions were removed and fitted to S.27, and in October 1912, S.39 was temporarily given equally extended upper and lower wings of 50 ft span, which further top extensions later increased to 64 ft. S.39 was purchased by the Admiralty in June 1912 and given serial T3, later simplified to 3; in the spring of 1913 it was returned to the works for overhaul and completely remodelled as a two-seat tandem pusher with new wings and no front elevator, as already described. The Admiralty declined to buy the Tandem-Twin, which remained McClean’s property (it was No. 11 in his private fleet list), but he lent it to the Naval Flying School without charge, and it was eventually crashed by Samson; Egerton’s S.35 appears to have been dismantled and probably formed the basis of one of the Sociables of early 1914. The final development of the triple-twin theme was the Triple-Tractor S.47.

Two other types of pusher biplane deserve notice. One was a startling metamorphosis of the original Triple-Twin, S.39, which reappeared on test by Sydney Pickles on 24 July, 1913, as a neat two-seat tandem pusher without a front elevator. It had constant-chord wings of improved profile with struts of oval steel tube and the landing gear and tail unit of a late production S.38-type, with balanced rounded rudders; it still retained its original serial 3, which was almost its only link with the past. Lighter in weight than a standard S.38-type, it had a very lively performance, with a top speed of 65 mph and the then exceptional rate of climb of over 600 ft/min; its ceiling was better than 9,000 ft. It was a favourite mount of Samson’s, and he used to fly it at night; he took Winston Churchill up in it during his visit to Eastchurch on 24-25 October, 1913. Finally, it joined the scratch squadron which Samson took to Flanders early in the war and was based at Poperinghe in October 1914, but was never armed and only used as a communications hack.

Triple-Twin
Span 34 ft (103 m), later 50 ft (15-3 m)
Length 45 ft (13-7 m)
Wing area 435 sq ft (40-4 sq,m), later 500 sq ft (46-5 sq.m)
Empty weight 1,800 lb (816 kg)
Loaded weight 2,100 lb (953 kg)
Speed 55 mph (88-6 km/h).

Tandem-Twin
Span 34 ft 2 in (10-4 m), later 50 ft (15-3 m)
Wing area 480 sq ft (44-6 sq.m), later 517 sq ft (48 sq.m)

S.39 (rebuilt)
Span 52 ft (15-84 m)
Length 29 ft (8-85 m)
Wing area 500 sq ft (46-5 sq.m)
Empty weight 1,000 lb (454 kg)
Loaded weight 1,500 lb (680 kg)
Speed 65 mph (104-6 km/h).