ANEC ANEC II
Built in 1924 by the Air Navigation and Engineering Company at Addlestone, Surrey, for the Air Ministry's light aeroplane competition for two-seaters fitted with engines of up to 1,100 cc, the ANEC was eliminated from the trials owing to problems with the valve springs in its Anzani engine. Entered in the 1925 King's Cup by Maj J.C. Savage, it did not take part, again owing to engine maladies. After being fitted with a 32 h,p, Bristol Cherub III engine and a strutted undercarriage, the machine finally came into its own, winning the Air League Challenge Cup Race, a 116-mile round trip from Castle Bromwich to Woodford, on July 16, 1927. Subsequently operated from Heston aerodrome by Air Commodore Alien Wheeler, the ANEC was withdrawn from use at West Mailing in 1937 before being moved to Old Warden for storage. The fuselage of G-EBJO was restored over a three-year period in the mid-1990s by Don Cashmore at Radcliffe-on-Trent in Nottinghamshire, and delivered back to Old Warden in October 1997 for completion by Shuttleworth engineer Andy Preslent. The fuselage and wings were reunited in October 2000. The ANEC then flew with an ABC Scorpion 2 engine restored by two of Shuttleworth's engine specialists, Phil Norris and Bryan Avery.