Main Menu

Hopfner HA-1133
Hopfner HA.11/33
WNF Wn 11

 

Hopf-1133-01
 
The Hopfner HA-11/33 was an amphibious flying boat built in Austria in 1933 to a specification by the Dr. Oetker company, headed by designer Lampich. The result was a conventional, high-wing cantilever monoplane with a stepped flying boat hull and pontoons on struts under the wings at mid-span. The cabin was fully enclosed, and the twin engines were mounted tractor-fashion on struts above the wing.
 
Hopf-1133-02
 
The HS.1133 had a semi-retractable landing gear, mounted under the wing and two Siemens Sh 14a engines with a capacity of 160 liters installed on racks and struts above the wing.
 
Hopfner produced the HA-1133 four-seat twin-engined amphibian before being taken over in 1935 by Hirtenberger Patronen, Zundhutchen und Metallwarenfabrik AG.
 
Hopf-1133-03
 
The first prototype, with the aircraft number A-141, took off from the lake surface, at the end of 1933. In 1935, the Austrian Air Force purchased the boat for training purposes, where it received the registration number OE-DGH.
 
Hopf-1133-04
 
A HA-11/33 was purchased by the Austrian Air Force, and was subsequently absorbed into the German Luftwaffe following the Anschluss. Deemed worthy of further development, WNF (which had absorbed Hirtenberg, which itself had taken over Hopfner) was tasked with developing it into a military training aircraft for flying boat pilots.
 
The Germans changed their registration number to their Wiener Neustadt Flugzeugwerke (WNF) WN-11 (PH + IB).Of particular interest was shown to the boat as an airplane suitable for training naval aviation pilots. For these purposes, the aircraft was converted - installed a chassis from Bf.109 and a new tail unit. In this form, the WFN WN-11 was tested in the open sea Travemünde.
 
Hopf-1133-05
 
Testing was undertaken at Travemünde in 1940, but the type was not ordered into production. There were plans to launch a serial production of this flying boat, but in the choice was made in favor of German training aircraft. In addition, in 1940 the plane crashed and was not restored. Development of a highly streamlined derivative with Hirth HM 508 engines, the WNF Wn 11C was also abandoned.
 
HA.1133
Engines: 2 × Siemens Sh 14A, 93 kW (125 hp) each
Propellers: 2-bladed wooden fixed-pitch
Wingspan: 14.11 m (46 ft 4 in)
Wing area: 30.4 m2 (327 sq ft)
Length: 10.17 m (33 ft 4 in)
Height: 3.15 m (10 ft 4 in)
Empty weight: 1,100 kg (2,425 lb)
Maximum take-off weight: 1,800 kg (3,968 lb)
Maximum speed: 190 km/h (118 mph; 103 kn)
Cruise speed: 160 km/h (99 mph; 86 kn)
Range: 900 km (559 mi; 486 nmi)
Service ceiling: 4,500 m (14,800 ft)
Crew: 1
Capacity: 3 pax
 
Hopf-1133-06

 

 

 

 

 


Copyright © 2018 all-aero. All Rights Reserved.
Joomla! is Free Software released under the GNU General Public License.