Stanley Hiller Jr designed the two-seat Model 360 which first flew in 1948. It was derived from the UH-5 which had proved very unstable during trials and had subsequently been fitted with a new stability system patented as the Hiller 'Rotormatic'. It entailed fitting the two-blade rotor with two small paddles which acted as a control rotor and were also connected to a hanging stick. This servo 'paddle control' system tilts the rotor head and actuates the cyclic pitch control.
Engine: Franklin 6V4-200-C33, 200 h.p.
Rotor diameter: 35 ft.
Rotors: 2-blade main; 2-blade tail
Fuselage length: 27 ft. 6 in.
Loaded weight: 2,500 lb.
Max. speed: 84 m.p.h.
Ceiling: 9,400 ft.
Typical range: 135 miles at 70 mph
Engine: Franklin 178 hp