The W.18 single-seat fighter flying boat was, like the CC that it supplanted, intended primarily for the Austro- Hungarian Navy. The prototype was flown early in 1917 with a 150hp Benz Bz III six-cylinder water-cooled engine, and production with a 200hp Hiero engine was undertaken on behalf of the Austro-Hungarian Navy, a total of 47 being delivered between September 1917 and May 1918. Armament normally comprised two fixed forward-firing 8mm Schwarzlose machine guns, and the W.18 was employed for both station defence and fighter patrol tasks. One Benz-engined example was delivered to the German Navy in December 1917.
Max take-off weight: 1145 kg / 2524 lb
Empty weight: 875 kg / 1929 lb
Wingspan: 10.70 m / 35 ft 1 in
Length: 8.15 m / 27 ft 9 in
Height: 3.45 m / 11 ft 4 in
Wing area: 34.38 sq.m / 370.06 sq ft
Max. speed: 170 km/h / 106 mph