Aero Vodochody Ltd
After World War 2 the Czech aviation industry was nationalised under central control although the Aero 140 was sold under the Aero name. Aero Vodochody Narodni Podnik was established on July 1, 1953, perpetuating the old Czech name Aero.
Achieved technical distinction and international success during 1963-1974, when the major product (for several countries) was the Delfin jet trainer (first flown April 1959; more than 3,000 built). This was succeeded in production in late 1972 by the L-39 Albatros jet trainer and light attack aircraft (first flown November 1968), following its selection as standard jet trainer of all Warsaw Pact countries except Poland; the L-39 as part of training system, comprising also special simulator, ejection training simulator and mobile automatic test equipment.
Aero Vodochody received the Red Banner award of the Ministry of Engineering and UVOS seven times.
Renamed Aero Vodochody Ltd.
In May 1997 the Board selected a consortium made up of Boeing (90%), the former McDonnell Douglas, and CSA Czech Airlines (10%) to take a major stake in the company as strategic investors. Product range then comprised the L-39 Albatros, L-59, L-139 Albatros 2000 (using US engine and avionics) and L159 ALCA jet trainers and light combat aircraft, and the Ae 270 Ibis transport as a partner with AIDC in Ibis Aerospace.
The L159 did not sell and in 2004 the Czech government bought the firm back for a nominal sum.