The Gyrodyne Company of America was established by Peter J. Papadakos in 1946. Gyrodyne acquired rights to the five-seat Helicopters Inc. (Bendix) Model J and developed this as the Gyrodyne GCA-2 (N74101). The GCA-2, an all-metal helicopter, had a coaxial twin rotor layout, with a five-seat cabin and a rounded fuselage with twin fins. It was subsequently modified to become the GCA-2A "Helidyne", with twin 100hp Continental auxiliary engines mounted externally on strutted outriggers to give additional forward speed. It flew in this form on 30 November 1949.
A further development of the GCA-2, serial number N6594K, first flew on April 25, 1952 piloted by Jim Ryan as the GCA-2C. Convertible to an ambulance with three litters.
Engine: 1 x P&W R-985-134, 450hp
Rotors: 2x 2 blade co-axial
Rotor diameter: 14.64m / 48 ft
Fuselage length: 21 ft 6.5 in
Loaded weight: 5,750 lb
Max. speed: 140km/h / 87 mph
Cruising speed: 110km/h
Ceiling: 9,200 ft
Typical range: 250 miles at 69 mph with full load
Number of seats: 6-8