Finland imported four examples with the 835‑hp Bristol Pegasus XXI radial, which despite considerably greater warload increased maximum speed to 343 km/h (212 mph). Four C.X’s had been purchased as “pattern” aircraft in 1934 along with a manufacturing license and the Ilmavoimat had ordered a further 20 from VL, who built the C.X aircraft over the last half of 1934 through to mid-1935. A further 20 were built through 1935 and early 1936 but with the move of VL to Tampere and the startup of Fokker D.XXI and Bristol Blenheim manufacturing, production was discontinued as the emphasis was placed on the construction of more modern aircraft. In early 1938, the Ilmavoimat briefly considered resurrecting the C.X for the Army Co-operation role. After an initial review, the aircraft was not considered further.
Valtion Lentokonetehdas (VL), the state‑owned factory at Tampere, Finland, built 35 Pegasus‑engined C.Xs and 93 D.XXIs under license from 1937 to 1944. The last five were built in 1942.
The last C.X crashed on January 25th, 1958.
Valtion Lentokonetehdas (VL) C.X
Engine: Bristol Pegasus XXI, 835 hp
Maximum speed: 211 mph
Range: 522 miles
Service ceiling: 27,230 ft
Armament: 2 x 7.9 mm machine guns fixed on top of the front fuselage / 1 x 7.9 mm machine gun rear cockpit
Bombload: Underwing racks for two 385lb (175kg) or four 221lb (100kg) bombs