Designed to meet a KLM (Royal Dutch Airlines) requirement for a larger aircraft than the F.VII single-engined series, the 12-15 seat Fokker F.VIII flew in prototype form on 12 March 1927. The nose contained a hinged baggage compartment, and the two 358kW Gnome-Rhone Jupiter VI engines were slung beneath the wings and a crew of two.
The prototype and six production F.VIIIs were delivered to KLM in 1927-28. One of them, PH-OTO, was later converted to have two engines positioned in the wing leading edge. Another was delivered to the Hungarian airline MALERT in 1928, and Manfred Weiss in Budapest built two more for MALERT under licence and were completed as bombers with two machine-gun posts..
The KLM aircraft were subsequently re-engined, various aircraft being powered by 515kW Wright R-1820 Cyclone or 373kW Pratt '& Whitney Wasp engines.
The only F.VIII to see service in military markings was the last Dutch production aircraft, sold by KLM to British Airways in 1936. It went to Sweden in 1939, and was subsequently donated to the Finnish air force, with whom it served in the Continuation War from 1941.
Engines: 2 x Gnome-Rhone Jupiter VI radial, 358kW
Max take-off weight: 5700 kg / 12566 lb
Empty weight: 3685 kg / 8124 lb
Wingspan: 23.00 m / 75 ft 6 in
Length: 16.75 m / 54 ft 11 in
Height: 4.20 m / 13 ft 9 in
Wing area: 83.00 sq.m / 893.40 sq ft
Max. speed: 200 km/h / 124 mph
Cruise speed: 170 km/h / 106 mph
Ceiling: 5500 m / 18050 ft
Range: 1045 km / 649 miles