Fokker F.IV / T-2 / A-2
Manufactured as a Fokker F-IV, the aircraft was purchased by the U.S. Army Air Service in June 1922 and re-designated the Air Service Transport 2, or T-2. One US Army Air Service T-2 was modified to an Ambulance aircraft, with the designation A-2.
Under the auspices of the U.S. Army Air Service, the Fokker T-2 made the first nonstop U.S. transcontinental flight in 1923. Required modifications for the transcontinental flight, such as increasing the fuel capacity, making structural reinforcements, and adding a second set of controls, were carried out at McCook Field, Dayton, Ohio. Two failed attempts at a west-to-east crossing were followed by a successful east-to-west flight when Air Service Lieutenants Oakley Kelly and John Macready took off from Long Island, New York, on May 2 and landed at Rockwell Field, San Diego, California, on May 3, slightly more than 26 hours and 50 minutes later.
Engine: Liberty V-12, 420 horsepower Wingspan: 24.5 m (80 ft 5 in)
Length: 15.2 m (49 ft 10 in)
Height: 3.7 m (12 ft 2 in)
Weight: Gross, 4,932 kg (10,850 lb) at takeoff for coast-to-coast flight