The Fleet 50 Freighter was a twin-engine biplane Canadian general utility aircraft designed and built by Fleet Aircraft. Design was started in 1936 to create a general purpose twin-engined utility aircraft for the Canadian market. It was designed as a short take-off freighter with features added to ease cargo handling. The Freighter was a biplane with the lower wing an inverted gull wing with either a float or wheel landing gear. Two radial piston engines were mounted in nacelles on the upper wing panels.
The fuselage structure was welded steel tubing with duralumin formers, and a semi-monocoque duralumin nose section. The wings were stressed-skin metal structure on the inboard panels and fabric-covered wood beams and duralumin ribs on the outboard panels. The fuselage had room for two crew and up to ten passengers. Large doors and a roof-mounted chain hoist were fitted for use in the cargo role.
The prototype designated the 50J first flew on 22 February 1938, powered by two 285 hp (213 kW) Jacobs L-5MB 7-cylinder radial engines. It was later re-engined with 330 hp Jacobs L-6MB engines and re-designated the 50K. A further four aircraft were built, all with L-6MB engines.
None of the aircraft was operated for long, as the design was under-powered and could not maintain altitude on only one engine.
Fleet 50K landplane
Engines: 2 × Jacobs L-6MB 7-cylinder radial engine, 330 hp (246 kW) each
Length: 36 ft 0 in (10.97 m)
Wingspan: 45 ft 0 in (13.72 m)
Height: 13 ft 1 in (3.99 m)
Wing area: 528 ft² (49.05 m²)
Empty weight: 4600 lb (2087 kg)
Gross weight: 8326 lb (3777 kg)
Maximum speed: 150 mph (241 km/h)
Range: 650 miles (1046 km)
Service ceiling: 15,000 ft (4570 m)
Capacity: 10 passengers or freight