Fleet 16 Finch
The Fleet 16B Finch II is a progressive development of the original Consolidated Fleet primary trainer, manufacture of which was commenced in Canada by Fleet Aircraft in 1930. The Fleet Finch Model 16 was developed specifically for the RCAF. In 1938 Fleet Aricraft was exporting Model 10s, when the RCAF examined a 10D for possible use as a primary trainer. The Air Force needed an aeroplane that could perform aerobatics with full military equipment; therefore, numerous modifications were made, and the aircraft built for the RCAF were designated Model 16s. The first Finch 16B for the RCAF flew in March 1940.
The Fleet 16 first entered RCAF service with tandem open cockpits, but the severity of the Canadian winter necessitated the introduction of a sliding canopy at an early stage in the trainer's service career.
A total of 437 Fleet Finches were produced as Model 16s, the majority (430) for the RCAF. They were used as initial trainers in the BCATP at twelve EFTS's across Canada in parallel with the Tiger Moth. They were replaced eventually by Fairchld PT-26 Cornells, and the last of the Model 16s stayed on RCAF inventory until 1947.
Fleet 16B Finch Mk II
Engine: Kinner B-5 five cylinder radial, 125 hp
Maximum speed: 113 mph
Empty weight: 1,102 lb (500 kg)
Loaded weight: 1,860 lb (844 kg)
Span: 28 ft (8.5 m)
Length: 21 ft 8 in (6.6 m)
Height: 7 ft 9 in (2.4 m)
Wing area: 194 sq ft (18 sq m)