Developed from the Fairey Pintail amphibian of 1920, the Fawn was the first post-1918 designed light day bomber and reconnaissance aircraft to see RAF service. Intended as an army co-operation vehicle to replace the de Havilland 9A, the Fawn prototype, J6907, first flew in March 1923.
After various modifications, including a longer fuselage, the design went into limited production, and the first production example appeared in January 1924, designated Fawn Mk II. This version entered RAF service, and eventually equipped Nos 11, 12, 100, 503 and 602 Squadrons.
Production amounted to 75 aircraft, made up of five prototype/pre-production aircraft, 50 350kW Napier Lion II-engined Fawn Mk IIs and 20 turbo-supercharged Lion VI engined Mk IIIs.
The Mk III did not reach squadron use. Several were fitted with external side-ladders and used for parachute-dropping exercises and demonstrations at Henlow; while machines of 12 and 100 Squadrons participated in the 1925 and 1926 RAF air displays at Hendon, demonstrating 'wing drill'.
Engine; 1 x 470hp Napier Lion VI
Span: 15.21 m (49ft 11 in)
Length: 9.78 m (32ft l in)
Height: 3.63 m (11 ft 11 in)
Wing area: 51.10 sq.m / 550.04 sq ft
Max take-off weight: 2649 kg / 5840 lb
Empty weight: 1580 kg / 3483 lb
Maximum speed: 183 km/h (114 mph) at 3048 m (10000 ft)
Climb to 3048 m (10000 ft): 17 min 24 sec
Service ceiling: 4220m (13850ft)
Range: 1047 km / 651 miles
Armament: 1 Vickers mg forward; 1 or 2 Lewis. mg rear cockpit
External bombload to 209 kg (460 lb)
Fairey Fawn Mk. III
Engine : Napier Lion II, 469 hp
Length : 32.087 ft / 9.78 m
Wingspan : 49.902 ft / 15.21 m
Max take off weight : 5834.4 lb / 2646.0 kg
Max. speed : 99 kts / 183 km/h
Range : 564 nm / 1045 km
Crew : 1+1
Armament : 2x MG 7.7mm, 209kg Bomb. ext.