ERCO (Engineering Research Corp.)
Established 1930, Henry Berliner was the founder of Berliner Aircraft Company, and founder of Engineering Research Corporation, Riverdale, Maryland- producer of the Ercoupe.
After making important components for other aircraft, designed and built the novel Ercoupe monoplane, developed from the original Weick "easy-to-fly" type and first flown in October 1937. Fred E. Weick was the company's chief engineer. The type was notable for its control system, which eliminated rudder pedals, and was first marketed in 1940. Production ceased on U.S. entry into Second World War, when company was fully engaged in defense contracts. Difficulty of obtaining duralumin led to redesigned Ercoupe of composite construction in 1941. In August 1941 one was used to demonstrate benefits of jet-assisted take-off (JATO) compared with conventionally powered aircraft. Two examples were bought by U.S. Army as experimental radio-controlled targets. After the war civil Ercoupe production was resumed.