In 1934, the Swiss air arm, or Fliegertruppe, called upon the EKW (Eidgenossische Konstruktions Werkstätte, or Federal Construction Workshop) to design a new airplane that could combine the roles of fighter, reconnaissance and tactical support aircraft. EKW’s efforts to fulfill such a difficult requirement produced two very different blueprints. One, the C-35, was a sturdy but conventional two-seater biplane first flown in 1935. The other was the C-36. The Swiss government judged the C-35 a surer prospect for swift development.
The biplane was fast becoming outmoded, and within 3½ years the Swiss government accepted the fact it had probably ordered the wrong aircraft. Two prototypes and 88 production C-35s were built, the first in 1936 and the last eight being assembled from spares in 1942. Of similar mixed construction to the C.V-E, the C-35 was powered by the 860-hp Saurer-built Hispano-Suiza 12Ycrs, with a 20-mm (0.79-in) cannon firing through the hub of the three-blade fixed-pitch propeller. Two 7.5-mm (0.295-in) machine-guns were fixed under the lower wing, and a third was aimed by the observer after folding forward the canopy over the rear cockpit. A bomb load of six 100-kg (220-1b) bombs could be carried. The C-35 served until 1949.
Span: 13.0 m (42 ft 712 in)
Length: 9.3 m (30 ft 4 in)
Gross weight: 2500 kg (5512 lb)
Maximum speed: 340 km/h (211 mph)