Douglas C-133 Cargomaster
Resulting from studies aimed towards a successor to the Globemaster II, the C-133 Cargomaster was worked up by Douglas’ designers beginning in February 1953, and the first aircraft was rolled out on 27 March 1956.
A huge airlifter with high-mounted wings powered by four 5,700-shp Pratt & Whitney T34-P-3 turboprop engines, the C-133 had its cargo-loading door in the rear fuselage. It was designed to carry heavier and bigger loads than the Lockheed C-130 Hercules, although its internal capacity did not represent a significant increase over the C-124 Globemaster II. First flown on 23 April 1956 and delivered to MATS on 1 August 1957, 35 C-l33As were followed by 15 C-l33Bs powered by 7,500 hp / 5,589kW T34-P-9W turboprops, the latter with an improved cargo door and increased payload. Some Cargomasters were used to transport the first generation of intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBMs) and intermediate-range missiles such as Atlas, Thor and Redstone. Production ended in April 1961.
The Cargomaster fleet served for a decade and the aircraft were seen everywhere, including in Vietnam in the early days. They were stressed for a limited airframe life and could not be kept in service longer. In service until 1971.
Engines: 4 x Pratt & Whitney T34-P-3 (later -7WA), 6500 shp.
Wing span: 179 ft 7.75 in.
Length: 157ft 6.5 in.
Height 48ft 3in.
Wing area: 2,673sqft.
Empty weight: 120,263 lb.
Loaded weight: 275,000lb.
Max speed: 359 mph.
Service ceiling: 29,950ft.
Engines: 4 x Pratt & Whitney T34-P-9W, 7500 shp / 4410kW
Max take-off weight: 129700-136000 kg / 285941 - 299830 lb
Empty weight: 54600 kg / 120373 lb
Wingspan: 54.8 m / 179 ft 9 in
Length: 48.0 m / 157 ft 6 in
Height: 14.7 m / 48 ft 3 in
Wing area: 248.3 sq.m / 2672.68 sq ft
Max. speed: 558 km/h / 347 mph
Cruise speed: 500 km/h / 311 mph
Ceiling: 6125 m / 20100 ft
Range w/max.fuel: 7000 km / 4350 miles
Range w/max.payload: 3600 km / 2237 miles