Douglas DT / SDW-1
The 1921 DT-1 was a single-seat 298kW Liberty-powered (with side radiators) torpedo plane. From it was developed the two-seat DT-2, a single-bay biplane with a 335.3kW Liberty engine and nose radiator.
The fuselage was of welded steel tubing, braced with tie-rods and provided with stiffening gussets. It was built in three detachable sections: engine section, mid section and tail section, the first two plated with aluminium and the tail with fabric. The vertical tail surfaces had conventional wooden frames, while the horizontal tail surfaces were of steel tubing. The wings were of standard box-beam and built-up rib construction of wood, fabric-covered. The upper wing was made up of three panels, while the lower had the usual two. The undercarriage had a 3m wide track, although DT-2 could be fitted with two long wooden floats.
A total of about 80 production DT-2-type aircraft were produced in the USA, most as standard DT-2 for the US Navy but including a small number of SDW-1 scouting floatplanes, but excluding five export models delivered to Norway and Peru. The latter had 484.3kW Wright engines and were operated by the small Naval Air Station at Ancon (20 miles from Lima) which was under the command of US Navy officers on loan to the Peruvian government. Seven DT-2 were also built in Norway under licence.
US Navy DT-2 entered service from 1922 and during their four-year career were experimentally flown from the aircraft carrier USS Langley. Several new versions of the DT were developed by fitting new engines into existing DT-2, the most important of which was the DT-4 bomber with a 484.3kW Wright T-2, able to carry a bomb load of 748kg.
Engine: 1 x Liberty V-12, 336kW
Take-off weight: 2950 kg / 6504 lb
Empty weight: 1695 kg / 3737 lb
Wingspan: 15.24 m / 50 ft 0 in
Length: 10.41 m / 34 ft 2 in
Height: 4.14 m / 13 ft 7 in
Wing area: 65.68 sq.m / 706.97 sq ft
Max. Speed: 163 km/h / 101 mph
Ceiling: 2375 m / 7800 ft
Range: 472 km / 293 miles
Armament: 1 x 830-kg torpedo