Derived from the Do 217, this air-craft was designed in 1939 to meet the Luftwaffe's Bomber B specification. Drop-ped in 1940 to allow work to be hastened on the Do 217P, the 317 was resurrected in 1941 in two forms. The 317A was little more than a pressurized 217, while the 317B had a much greater span, completely new engines, remote-control cannon barbettes and a bomb-load of 5600 kg (12,346 lb), with an overload option of two 1800-kg (3968-lb) bombs on wing racks. One was built and six more were converted to Do 217R on the production line. The 317 was dropped in 1943.