The Do 27 was West Germany's first post-World War II production aircraft. It was designed in collaboration with CASA, who also licence-built some versions - the type was first designed to a Spanish Military STOL requirement. The STOL capabilities of the tail-wheel undercarriage, along with excellent all-round vision were the Do 27's selling points. It was often used in military applications for training, photographic, ambulance, agricultural and glider-towing purposes. Of the 620 built up until 1965, 432 were for West German military/paramilitary or civil consumption, whilst the remainder were widely exported.
The 1955 Do27 was powered with either the Lycoming GO-480 (275 hp) of the 340 hp supercharged variant.
Built in Spain as the C-127 and designated L9 and U9.
Although most Dornier aircraft are powered by Lycoming engines, the four-seat Do 27 Q3 civil version of the Do 27 is Continental O-470-K (230-hp) -powered. It has a loaded weight of 3,740 lb., a cruising speed of 124 m.p.h. and a range of 500 miles.
Engine: 1 x Lycoming GO-480-B1A6, 270hp
Max take-off weight: 1850 kg / 4079 lb
Wingspan: 12.00 m / 39 ft 4 in
Wing area: 209 sq.ft.
Length: 9.60 m / 31 ft 6 in
Height: 2.80 m / 9 ft 2 in
Max. speed: 227 km/h / 141 mph
Ceiling: 3300 m / 10850 ft
Range: 1100 km / 684 miles