Developed in 1934 at the Altenrhein factory, the Do 22 all-metal, fabric-covered, except for the metal-skinned forward fuselage, parasol monoplane first appeared as a twin -float seaplane. Two prototypes were built.
The Do 22 was powered by a 775-hp Hispano-Suiza 12Ybrs engine driving a three-bladed propeller. The Do 22 carried a crew of three, the rear cockpit providing accommodation for a gunner, and a radio operator whose position in the front half of the cockpit was protected by a glazed canopy. Four 7.92mm MG 15 machine-guns were fitted, one in the forward fuselage above the engine, one in a ventral position and two in the rear cockpit. There were racks on the underside of the fuselage for a single 800-kg (1764-lb) torpedo or four 50-kg (110- lb) bombs.
Approximately 30 were built at Friedrichshafen in Germany and the first production aircraft was flown on 15 July 1938.
Orders were not received from the Luftwaffe, but some were produced at Friedrichshafen for export to Latvia (Do 22 Kl), Greece (12 Do 22Kg) and Yugoslavia (12 Do 22Kj).
The Do 22L (a landplane model registered D-OXWD) flew on March 10, 1939.
The Do 22 fought on both sides during the Second World War. Of the 12 delivered to the Yugoslavian navy, eight escaped to Egypt in April 1941 and served under No 230 Squadron RAF in the Mediterranean; and four Do 22K1 from the Latvian order were sold to the Finnish air force in 1941.
Engine: 1 x Hispano-Suiza 12 Y 21, 670kW
Wingspan: 16.2 m / 53 ft 2 in
Length: 13.1 m / 42 ft 12 in
Height: 4.8 m / 15 ft 9 in
Wing area: 41.3 sq.m / 444.55 sq ft
Empty weight: 2850 kg / 6283 lb
Max take-off weight: 3700-4000 kg / 8157 - 8819 lb
Max. speed: 350 km/h / 217 mph
Cruise speed: 310 km/h / 193 mph
Ceiling: 8500 m / 27900 ft
Range w/max.fuel: 1600 km / 994 miles
Range w/max.payload: 800 km / 497 miles
Armament: 2-3 machine-guns