The D 19 appeared in the summer of 1925 with a 400hp Hispano-Suiza 12Jb 12-cylinder water-cooled Vee-type engine. By comparison with the D 1, the D 19 had longer span, narrower chord ailerons and a wing spanning 12.50m with an area of 24.00sq.m. Demonstrated in Switzerland in August 1925, three examples of a modified version of the D 19 were ordered by the Swiss government. Specified armament was two fuselage-mounted 7.7mm guns, the paired Lamblin radiators mounted on the undercarriage legs replaced by a Chausson frontal radiator and a wing similar to that of the D 1 was adopted.
A second D 19 prototype was completed with these modifications, this being sold in 1928 to Belgium, and the first Swiss aircraft was ferried to the EKW (Eidg. Konstruktions-Werkstatte) in March 1926. The two other Swiss aircraft were transported to Switzerland in February 1927 for assembly by the EKW state aircraft factory at Thun, subsequently entering service with the Fliegertruppe.
The D 19 received a new wing of 25.00 sq.m similar to that of the D 9 and D 12 before CEPA testing, in which performance proved mediocre owing to mismatching of the propeller.
The three D 19s participated in the 1927 Zurich-Diibendorf international aviation meeting, one being winner of the closed-circuit race for fighters with a speed of 250km/h. Used primarily for combat training by the Fliegertruppe, one D 19 was lost in 1930, and the remaining two continued in service until 1940.
Max take-off weight: 1390 kg / 3064 lb
Empty weight: 980 kg / 2161 lb
Wingspan: 10.80 m / 35 ft 5 in
Length: 7.87 m / 25 ft 10 in
Height: 3.50 m / 11 ft 6 in
Wing area: 20.00 sq.m / 215.28 sq ft
Max. speed: 268 km/h / 167 mph
Range: 400 km / 249 miles