Custer Channel Wing Corp
Set up during early 1950s to develop 'channeling' concept devised by its President, Willard R. Custer. (Wing contours formed semi-circular channel/duct in which two pusher engines were suspended). Small-scale experimental aircraft with this configuration flown December 1951; another test aircraft flew shortly afterwards. Followed by Custer CCW-5 (flown July 1953), a modified Baumann Brigadier (built by that company) with a channel wing and two Continental engines, and expected to take off in a few feet, rise vertically, hover and land vertically. First production model flew June 1964. Custer retired early 1968, but remained as consultant throughout prolonged certification program by DeVore Aviation Service Corporation. Despite its founder's efforts to keep the company solvent, Custer Channel Wing Corporation eventually closed through lack of funds.