Formed from merger on August 9,1929 between Curtiss Aeroplane and Motor Co Inc. and Wright Aeronautical Corporation. Subsequent production mainly by Curtiss Airplane Division of Curtiss-Wright (aircraft still being "Curtiss" types rather than "Curtiss-Wright," except for those with "CW" designations. In August 1929, stock changed hands, and the Curtiss-Wright Corporation be-came the controlling power in Travel Air. Travel Air's production had been one -tenth of the total U. S. output of com-mercial airplanes.
In 1936 complete reorganisation dissolved all main subsidiaries except Wright Aeronautical Division. From 1930 onwards main products included F9C Sparrowhawk fighter, carried on board USN airships; F11C/BFC Goshawk for USN and export versions Hawk I/ II/ III/ IV; SBC Helldivers for USN; SOC Seagull for USN; BT-32/ CT-32/ T-32 Condor bomber and civil/military transport; A-8/10/12 Shrike for USAAC; P-36 for USAAC and export Hawk 75s; one CW-20 prototype (later used by BOAC); C-46 Commando (USAAF) and R5C (USN) transport developments of CW-20; CW-21 Demon fighters; SNC trainers for USN, developed from CW-21; P-40 Warhawk/Tomahawk/Kittyhawk fighters for USAAF and other Allied services, of which 13,738 built during Second World War; C-76 Caravan transports for USAAF; O-52 Owl observation biplanes for USAAF/USN; SO3C Seamew for USN and Fleet Air Arm; SB2C Helldiver; AT-9 Jeep twin-engined trainers for USAAF; SC Seahawk scout seaplanes for USN; Republic P-47 Thunderbolt fighters for USAAF. Total wartime production (1940-1945) was 26,755 aircraft and 223,036 aero engines.
After the war many Curtiss factories closed and most aircraft construction discontinued. Some Boeing B-29 modification undertaken until end of 1945, but Curtiss- Wright basically then undertook overhaul and repair of aircraft and manufacture of components, subassemblies and spare parts. By 1952 was concerned exclusively with production of aero engines and propellers. At the end of the 1950s Curtiss-Wright made a brief return to aircraft production with Skydart rocket-propelled target drone and prototype VZ-7AP VTOL "Flying Jeep" for Army trials. Last type produced by the company was the X-19A, a six-seat convertiplane with twin engines driving tandem pairs of tilting propeller/rotors; first flight June 26,1964, but development discontinued 1966. By 1970s main activities of the corporation included nuclear research, data transmission, and research into new advanced engine designs for USAF and NASA, although still made components for Boeing 747 airliners.
The Aero-physics Development Corporation was absorbed by Curtiss Wright Corporation and became its Santa Barbara Division.