Founded in Montreal in January 1929 by a merger of the Reid Aircraft Company (founded 1928) and the Curtiss Aeroplane & Motor Co of New York. W. T. Reid, formerly chief designer of Bristol Aeroplane Company, had founded Reid Aircraft to build a light biplane of his own design. This was produced by the new company as the Curtiss-Reid Rambler, powered by a license-built Cirrus engine, and at least six of these aircraft were supplied to the RCAF. Opened flying school in 1930. Built also the Courier, a single-seat lightweight mail-carrying monoplane.