Curtiss F7C Seahawk
The first Curtiss fighter designed from the outset for shipboard use, the XF7C-1 single-seat biplane had sweptback upper and non-swept lower wings the proto-type (X177CA) first flew on February 28, 1927. Powered by a 450hp Pratt & Whitney R-1340-B Wasp radial, the XF7C-1 was flown both with and without a propeller spinner, and was also tested with a single central float and outrigger stabilising floats. A Navy contract of June 30 1927 covered this aircraft and 17 production F7C-1s, all with 450-hp Pratt & Whitney R-1340B Wasp radial engines and 303-416 litres (67-91 Im-perial gallons) of fuel.
These differed from the prototype primarily in having tripod main undercarriage members in place of the cross axle. The propeller spinner was discarded and armament comprised two 7.62mm synchronised machine guns. Each had a single open cockpit, aft of which a life-raft was stowed.
Deliveries began in December 1928 to Squadron VF-5M at Quan-tico, and its last recorded service was with VF-9M in March 1933. On May 25, 1929, the XF7C-1, flown by Lt W G Tomlinson, won the Curtiss Marine Trophy race at Anacostia at a speed of 261.55 km/h (162.5 mph).
Engine: 450-hp Pratt & Whitney R-1340B Wasp radial
Wing span: 9.96 m (32 ft 8 in)
Length: 6.76 m (22 ft 2 in)
Height: 3.15 m / 10 ft 4 in
Wing area: 25.64 sq.m / 275.99 sq ft
Gross weight: 1262 kg (2782 lb)
Empty weight: 924 kg / 2037 lb
Fuel capacity: 303-416 litres (67-91 Im-perial gallons)
Maximum service speed: 243 km/h (151 mph)
Range: 531 km / 330 miles