Curtiss P-5 Superhawk
A USAAC contract placed on 14 May 1927 called for five aircraft with airframes essentially similar to that of the P-1C, but powered by a turbo-supercharged Curtiss V-1150-4 12-cylinder water-cooled engine. The first of these was delivered in January 1928 as the XP-5, with the remaining four following as P-5s by June 1928. Dubbed Superhawk by the manufacturer, the P-5 had a side-mounted exhaust-driven turbo-supercharger with which it attained a service ceiling of 9450m. Warm air was ducted from the exhaust manifold to the cockpit, the heat being contained by a "cape" which snapped around the cockpit rim and fitted closely about the pilot. They had a consid-erably higher than the maximum ceiling of the P-1A but their low-level performance was inferior. Two of the P-5s were lost in accidents shortly after delivery, but the remaining two served with the 94th Pursuit Squadron until April 1932. The V-1150-4 (D-12F) engine was rated at 435hp and armament comprised two 7.62mm machine guns. Provision existed for the carriage of bombs beneath the fuselage.
Engine: turbo-supercharged Curtiss V-1150-4 (D-12F) 12-cylinder water-cooled, 435 hp
Wingspan: 9.60 m / 31 ft 6 in
Length: 7.21 m / 23 ft 8 in
Height: 2.82 m / 9 ft 3 in
Wing area: 23.41 sq.m / 251.98 sq ft
Take-off weight: 1519 kg / 3349 lb
Empty weight: 1143 kg / 2520 lb
Max. speed: 267 km/h (166 mph) at 7620 m (25 000 ft)
Armament: two 7.62mm machine guns.