The first Curtiss fighter built under the US Navy designating system combining type, sequence of design and manufacturer, the F4C-1 was designed by Charles W Hall. It was essentially an all-metal version of the wooden Naval Aircraft Factory TS-1, which had been designed by the US Navy Bureau of Aeronautics and production had been assigned to Curtiss.
The F4C-1, two examples of which were built in 1924 and the first flown on 4 September, embodied some aerodynamic redesign. Its wings featured tubular spars and stamped dural ribs, and the fuselage was built up of dural tubing in a Warren truss form, all being fabric covered. By comparison with the TS-1, the lower wing was raised to the base of the fuselage. Armament comprised two 7.62mm machine guns and power was provided by a nine-cylinder Wright J-3 radial rated at 200hp.
Take-off weight: 774 kg / 1706 lb
Empty weight: 466 kg / 1027 lb
Wingspan: 7.62 m / 25 ft 0 in
Length: 5.59 m / 18 ft 4 in
Height: 2.67 m / 8 ft 9 in
Wing area: 17.19 sq.m / 185.03 sq ft
Max. speed: 203 km/h / 126 mph
Range: 845 km / 525 miles