Main Menu

Curtiss E 1911 /   Pusher / A-2 Owl / E-1 / AX-1

 

curtisse

 

The USN's second plane, the 1912 patrol amphibian Curtiss A-2, or OWL, was converted from the 1911 Model E landplane. Ordered by the Navy in May 1911 as a standard model E pusher landplane and taken into service as the A-2. With two seats and 50hp Curtiss pusher engine, later replaced by 60hp V-8, it was unofficially dubbed OWL for "Over Water and Land" when experimental wheels were added.
 
 Curt-A2-02
Curtiss A-2
 
With a modified with cabin enclosure, it was re-designated E-1 in Sept 1913, then AX-1 in March 1914.
 
The sole example crashed on 27 November 1915 after 91 flights and was scrapped.
 
 Curt-OWL2-01
OWL-1
 
Work was begun by Curtiss in late 1913 on the OWL II, while utilising the same model E components, featured a more pointed V-bottom hull and improved housings for the tricycle wheels. The OWL II was reportedly in 1914.

 

Replica:
Coolbaugh Curtiss-Ely 1911


Model E-4

Engine: 1 x 40hp 4-cylinder water-cooled Curtiss
Take-off weight: 272 kg / 600 lb
Wingspan: 10.77 m / 35 ft 4 in
Length: 7.85 m / 25 ft 9 in
Height: 2.44 m / 8 ft 0 in
Max. Speed: 64 km/h / 40 mph

 


Copyright © 2020 all-aero. All Rights Reserved.
Joomla! is Free Software released under the GNU General Public License.