Convair 240 / T-29 / Turboliner
ConvairLiner project started with the Model 110, of which the prototype NX90653 was flown for the first time on 8 July 1946. American Airlines convinced Convair to alter the CV-110 into the larger CV-240. The first post-World War II commercial transport designed by Consolidated Vultee was evolved primarily as a DC-3 replacement.
Accommodation was provided for 2 crew and 40 passengers. The aircraft was powered by two 2400 hp / 1,788kW Pratt & Whitney R-2800-CA18 radial engines.
The prototype, NX90849, first flew at San Diego on 15/16 March 1947 and the first licensed aircraft was delivered to American Airlines on 28 February 1948, who put the type into scheduled service on 1 June 1948.
Military versions of the 240 were produced as the T-29A to E aircrew trainers for navigators and bombardiers.
Altogether 176 were built, and the Convair 240 served VARIG for 26 years.
Convair CV-240-21 Turboliner, December 1952 (Courtesy Pat Ford)
The Allison T38 (company Model 501) engines fitted to the Convair CV-240-21 Turboliner were rated to 2,750shp.
Engines: 2 x Pratt & Whitney R-2800-CA18, 2400 hp / 1,788kW
Wingspan: 28.0 m / 91 ft 10 in
Length: 22.7 m / 74 ft 6 in
Height: 8.3 m / 27 ft 3 in
Wing area: 75.9 sq.m / 816.98 sq ft
Max take-off weight: 18972 kg / 41826 lb
Empty weight: 12530 kg / 27624 lb
Max. speed: 538 km/h / 334 mph
Cruise speed: 480 km/h / 298 mph
Ceiling: 9150 m / 30000 ft
Range w/max.fuel: 2880 km / 1790 miles
Passenger capacity: 40