Main Menu

Caudron G.III

 

caudrong3
G.III
 
Developed from the G.II, the G.III was a two-seat sesquiplane powered by a 59.6kW Le Rhone, Gnome or Anzani engine mounted in the nose of the short crew nacelle. First flown in France in 1912, over 100 were operated by the Royal Naval Air Service and Royal Flying Corps for training. A few had initially been used prior to 1914 as seaplanes.
 

Originally operated by French squadrons as reconnaissance aircraft over the Western Front, the G.III subsequently became a trainer, serving also with the British, Belgian, Italian and American forces.

 

Caudron-G3-02

 

G.IIIAs were built for military use in 1914 and used extensively by France, U.K., Belgium, Russia, and Italy as two-seat reconnaissance/ artillery observation aircraft. Several hundred were built, mostly in France, but also by British Caudron and in Italy.

 

 

 

The Canterbury (NZ) Aviation Co. Ltd of New Zealand had six imported Caudron GIII one and two-seat trainers. They built up three locally made copies - #3 #5 and #9.
 
#3 - Caudron-type single seater
'White Wings'
First flown 21 Jul 1917
Local copy built by J G Mackie at Sockburn. Single-seater, 45hp Anzani.
Badly damaged on takeoff Sockburn 7 Oct 1917. Pilot H Morse.
 
#5 - Caudron-type 2-seater
Local copy built by J G Mackie at Sockburn. Dual control, fitted with 60hp Motor ex-#2
First flown Oct 1917
Withdrawn from use Sockburn 1920
 
#9 - Caudron-type single-seater
Local copy built by J G Mackie at Sockburn. Single-seater, 45hp Anzani.
First flown May 1918.
Withdrawn from use Sockburn 1920
 
CAC-Caudron

 

 Caud-G3-01
Caudron G.III CFS-9 which was used as a trainer at AFC CFS, Point Cook, Australia, in 1916

 

Some 3000 G-3s were constructed 1913-18 being used as observation aircraft until 1916 and as trainers throughout WW1. The first G-3s were without ailerons. The elevator cables are attached to exterior control stick extension. With no pressre on the stick the elevators drag on the ground.
 
 Caudr-G3-02
 
Records include first flights at Peking and Peking to Tien-Tsin by Rene Caudron and passenger in July 1913; first biplane to loop (by Chanteloup on 17 September 1913); World Endurance Record by Poulet (16 hr 28 min) in May 1914.
 
 Caudr-G3-03

 

Gallery

 

Engine: 1 x Le Rhone, 80 hp / 59kW
Take-off weight: 734 kg / 1618 lb
Empty weight: 445 kg / 981 lb
Wingspan: 13.4 m / 42 ft 8 in
Length: 6.4 m / 22 ft 9 in
Height: 2.6 m / 8 ft 6 in
Wing area: 27.0 sq.m / 290.63 sq ft
Max. speed: 106 km/h / 66 mph
Ceiling: 3000 m / 9850 ft
Range w/max.fuel: 300 km / 186 miles

Crew: 2

 

G-3
Engine: Walter NZ 120
Prop: Merville, 8 ft dia.
Weight: 1650 lb
Fuel capacity: 24 USG
Oil capacity: 5.67 USG
Speed: 56 mph
Endurance: 2 hr 30 min
Tires: 3.00x19 Dunlop
Aileron span: 9 ft 7 in
Aileron chord: 21 in
Elevator span: 6 ft 7 in
Stabiliser span: 13 ft 2 in

 

 

 

 


Copyright © 2020 all-aero. All Rights Reserved.
Joomla! is Free Software released under the GNU General Public License.