Hansa Und Brandenburgische Flegzeugwerke Gmbh
Hanseatische Flugzeugwerke Karl Caspar AG
Caspar Werke AG
Founded as the Zentrale fur Aviatik at Hamburg-Fuhlsbiittel in late 1911; began by building Etrich/RumplerTaube monoplanes. In 1913 renamed Hansa-Flugzeugwerke, merging shortly before the First World War with Brandenburgische Flugzeugwerke of Igo Etrich, becoming the Hansa and Brandenburgische Flugzeugwerke. This partnership dissolved in 1916, the Hamburg factory being renamed Hanseatische Flugzeugwerke Karl Caspar AG. Next two years spent mainly in license-building other companies' aircraft, though an interesting cannon-armed twin-engined fighter prototype by Caspar appeared in late 1918.
With Ernst Heinkel as chief designer, this company produced the most important German seaplanes of the First World War, commencing with the KDW single-seater developed from the D1 landplane, followed by the W.12 with characteristic Hansa upswept fuselage and "upside-down" tail arrangement. The W.29 monoplane set the pattern for Heinkel's later designs, outperforming Allied aircraft in combat from introduction in April 1918. The larger W.33 was delivered before the Armistice, and continued in production in Finland and Norway as the A-22 until the mid- 1928, as did the W.29 in Denmark.
Before end of First World War company acquired the ex- Fokker factory at Travemiinde, eventually closing the Hamburg works and transferring its activities there. Here, in 1921, the Caspar Werke AG was formed.
Established in 1921 in ex-Fokker factory at Travemunde to continue business of Hanseatische Flugzeugwerke Karl Caspar AG. of Hamburg. Started with manufacture of seaplanes, including S.1 twin-float monoplane and Heinkel-designed LJ.1 and U.2, 1922 prototypes for detachable-wing biplanes to be carried by submarines. A four-seat open-cockpit light transport was followed by the CLE.11 in 1923, a two-seat high-wing cabin monoplane. In 1925 came the CT-1 -5 series of light aircraft designed by Karl Theiss, and CLE.12 eight-seat single-engined transport. Lightplane designs C.17, 23, 24, and 26 followed; then in 1926 the C.27 seaplane training biplane; C.30 reconnaissance aircraft; C.32 agricultural biplane (one of the world's first) with payload of 1,984 Ib (900 kg); the C.35 Priwall eight-passenger biplane of 1927 (also used by Deutsche Luft Hansa as freighter); and the C.36 reconnaissance aircraft. Lack of orders for these types caused the factory to close in 1928.