Caproni F.5 Vizzola
The F.4 and F.5 were designed in parallel with the 890-hp (664-kW) Isotta-Fraschini Asso 121 inline and 870-hp (649-kW) Fiat A.74 radial engines respectively. They had traditional mixed construction, with welded-steel-tube fuselage with light-alloy skin and wooden wings. Landing gear and flaps were hydraulic, and ailerons were arranged to droop with extension of the flaps. Tailplanes had variable incidence for trimming.
The F.5 was the first to fly, in early in 1939, and was evaluated against the Fiat G.50 and Macchi MC.200 for a production order, but the only contract placed was for 14 pre-production fighters. These had a modified cockpit canopy, greater fuel capacity, larger vertical tail surfaces, and a non-retracting tailwheel. The F.5s were used from mid-1940 for the night defense of Rome in the first months of the war, and then employed as interceptors until lack of serviceability forced their retirement. Armament was two 12.7-mm (0.5-in) Breda-SAFAT guns. Fabrizi had numerous schemes for developments of the F.5, but none was built.
Caproni Vizzola F.5
Type: single-seat fighter.
Engine: one 870-hp (649-kW) Fiat A.74 RC 38 radial piston
Maximum speed: 317 mph (510 km/h) at 9,845 ft (3,000 m)
Climb to 21,325 ft (6,500 m): 6 minutes 30 seconds
Service ceiling: 31,170 ft (9,500 m)
Range: 478 miles (770 km).
Empty weight: 4,078 lb (1,850 kg)
Maximum take-off weight: 5,181 lb (2,350 kg).
Wing span 37 ft 1 in (11.30 m)
Length 25 ft 11 in (7.90 m)
Height 9 ft 10 in (3.00 m)
Wing area 189.45 sq ft (17.60 sq.m)
Armament: two fixed 0.5-in (12.7-mm) machine guns.