Cantieri Navale Triestino
Cantiere Riuniti dell'Adriatico
Company originally called Cantieri Navale Triestino created 1923 as subsidiary of Cantieri Navali di Monfalcone to manufacture civil/military marine aircraft. Most designs produced between 1923-1930 were work of R. Conflenti, including such flying-boats as Cant 6 three-engined biplane bomber; Cant 6 ter, commercial transport version; Cant 7, 7 bis and 7 ter single-engined trainer biplanes; Cant 10 and 10 ter five/six-seat single-engined light transport biplanes; Cant 18 trainer; Cant 22 three-engined eight/ten-seat commercial transport; Cant 25 single-seat fighter. Landplanes included Cant 23 transport and Cant 36 trainer.
Company changed its name in 1931 to Cantiere Riuniti dell'Adriatico. Chief designer Filippo Zappata (formerly of Bleriot) completely reorganized the company 1933/1936. From 1934 most aircraft had Z prefixes, marine aircraft being numbered in 500 series, beginning with Z.501 Gabbiano biplane reconnaissance/bomber, first flown 1934. Followed by Z.504 two-seat fighter biplane flying- boat and Z.505 twin-float three-engined monoplane, both 1935. Latter developed into Z.506 (1936), built as reconnaissance/ bomber/ASR for Regia Aeronautica (Z.506B Airone) and as commercial transport for Italian airlines (Z.506A and C). Landplane version built by Piaggio. Built Z.508 and Z.509, monoplane flying-boat bombers, and world's largest floatplane: Z.511 four-engined trans-Atlantic mail/freight variant, first flown 1943. The Z.515 twin-engined twin-float monoplane (coastal reconnaissance), built 1938-1939.
Landplanes (designated in 1000 series) included Z.1007 and 1007 bis Alcione three-engined bomber; Z.1011 twin-engined medium bomber/transport; Z.1012 three-engined transport; Z.1015 three-engined derivative of Z1017 bis, first flown January 1939 and used in torpedo trials early in the Second World War. Final type was Z.1018 Leone, twin-engined medium bomber intended to replace Alcione, probably Italy's best wartime design but too late to see service. Did not continue aircraft manufacture in the post-war period.