Can-Car CBY-3 Loadmaster
Can-Car had a new aircraft it hoped would give the company access to the larger transport aircraft market. Cancargo Aircraft Manufacturing Co Ltd, a wholly owned subsidiary of the Canadian Car & Foundry Company was formed about 1950 to build the Burnelli Loadmaster transport. This was the CBY-3 Loadmaster, the brainchild of V J Brunelli, a long-time advocate of the lifting fuselage as a means of increasing the efficiency of transport aircraft. The Brunelli design incorporated an aerofoil section fuselage between twin booms, which were extended forward to carry the engine nacelles and aft to carry the twin fins and rudders. The cockpit nacelle extended outwards from the fuselage between the engines and access to the freight or passenger compartments was by doors in each boom.
Although work was started on the CBY-3 in 1943 at Montreal, the prototype did not fly until late 1945. It proved to be overweight and underpowered with no obvious benefits to be derived from the lifting fuselage. An initial order of ten aircraft from Transportes Aereos Centro-Americanos (TACA) of Nicaragua in passenger/cargo configuration was cancelled and despite numerous attempts over 12 years to sell the design, no further orders were forthcoming and the prototype made its last flight in 1959. It is now in the New England Air Museum at Windsor Locks, Connecticut, USA.
The rights in this aircraft were acquired in 1952 by Airlifts Inc. of Miami, and reverted eventually to Ballard Aircraft Corporation.