Bristol B.164 Brigand
The Brigand was designed as a twin-engined three-seat long-range attack aircraft capable of fulfilling the duties of a torpedo-bomber, dive-bomber and fighter to replace the Beaufighter. It used wings, landing gear, engine nacelles and tail unit of a similar type to those of the Buckingham. The prototype first flew on 4 December 1944. Although the first 11 aircraft were delivered as TF.1 torpedo-bombers to Coastal Command, in 1947 the Mk 1 was remodelled as a three-seat general-purpose bomber and most of the remaining 132 production Brigands were delivered as B.1. However a few saw service as Brigand Mk 2 training aircraft for radar navigators and Met Mk 3 meteorological reconnaissance aircraft.
The Brigand served with the RAF from 1949 until 1958, seeing action in Malaya during 1950-54, when it was operated with considerable success by Nos 45 and 84 Squadrons of the RAF, and had the distiction of being the RAF’s last piston-engined bomber.
Bristol Brigand B.1
Engines: 2 x Centaurus 57, 1842kW, 2470 hp (2,810hp with methanol/water injection)
Prop: 14 ft 0 in (4.27 m) dia 4-blade.
Max Take-off weight: 17690 kg / 39000 lb
Empty weight: 11610 kg / 25596 lb
Wingspan: 22.05 m / 72 ft 4 in
Length: 14.15 m / 46 ft 5 in
Height: 5.33 m / 17 ft 6 in
Wing area: 66.7 sq.m / 717.95 sq ft
Max speed: 358 mph (576 kph) at 16,000 ft (4,880m)
Cruise speed: 500 km/h / 311 mph
Service ceiling: 7900 m / 25900 ft
Max range: 4500 km / 2796 miles
Armament: 4 x 20mm cannon, 900kg of weapons
Bristol 164 Brigand B.1