Bristol M1C Monoplane / B.20
The M.1C was the production derivative of the private-venture M.1A which, designed by Frank Barnwell, had flown for the first time on 14 July 1916. It was of innovatory design in being a shoulder-wing monoplane with a fully faired fuselage of good streamline form and a drag-reducing hemispherical spinner. Four similar aircraft were ordered by the War Office, these each having a single 7.7mm Vickers gun mounted on the port wing root and a clear-view cut-out panel in the starboard wing root to afford the pilot a measure of downward visibility. This version received the designation M.1B and a production order for 125 aircraft was placed on 3 August 1917 as M.1s.
Powered by a 110hp Le Rhone 9J nine-cylinder rotary engine, the M.1C had a centrally-mounted Vickers gun, but its subsequent operational career was largely confined to the Middle East where 33 M.1Cs were sent during 1917-18.
Only five squadrons were partly equipped with the M1 for operational use although a number were issued to flying schools. No aircraft of this type were issued to RFC squadrons based in France, the 97km/h landing speed being considered too high for small Western Front airfields.
Engine: 110hp Le Rhone 9J nine-cylinder rotary