The Avro 530 two-seat fighter was designed in 1916 to compete with the Bristol F.2A, and the first prototype was first flown in July 1917. Powered by a 200hp Hispano- Suiza 8Bd eight-cylinder water-cooled engine, the Avro 530 was of wooden construction with fabric skinning, and mounted an armament of a single fixed and synchronised 7.7mm Vickers gun, a 7.7mm Lewis gun was mounted on a Scarff ring in the rear cockpit.
Performance of the Avro 530 proved to be good, but not sufficiently on that of the Bristol F.2A to warrant production orders and priority in the supply of the Hispano- Suiza engine was being given to the S.E.5a. During 1918, one of the two Avro 530 prototypes was flown with a 200hp Sunbeam Arab engine, revised undercarriage, an extended tail fin and flapless wings of new section with long-span ailerons, but development was subsequently abandoned.
Engine: 200hp Hispano- Suiza 8Bd eight-cylinder water-cooled
Take-off weight: 1216 kg / 2681 lb
Empty weight: 769 kg / 1695 lb
Wingspan: 10.97 m / 36 ft 0 in
Length: 8.69 m / 29 ft 6 in
Height: 2.92 m / 10 ft 7 in
Wing area: 30.23 sq.m / 325.39 sq ft
Max. speed: 183 km/h / 114 mph