The two-seat Avro 527 fighter was built for the RFC and flown for the first time early in 1916 with a 150hp Sunbeam Nubian eight-cylinder water-cooled engine. The mainplanes, undercarriage and tail assembly, were basically similar to those of the Avro 504, but the fuselage differed. Proposed armament consisted of a single free-mounted 7.7mm Lewis gun in the rear cockpit. The Avro 527 displayed a poor climb rate and the pilot's forward view was impaired by the twin exhaust stacks of the Nubian engine. Only one prototype was completed, and development was discontinued during the course of 1916, a version with a longer-span wing, the 527A, also discontinued at the same time.
Engine: 150hp Sunbeam Nubian eight-cylinder water-cooled
Wingspan: 10.97 m / 36 ft 0 in
Max. speed: 166 km/h / 103 mph