Main Menu

Avro 521

avro521


The Avro 521 two-seat fighter, first flown late in 1915, included a number of Avro 504 components. Powered by a 110hp Clerget 9Z nine-cylinder rotary, the prototype had provision for a free-mounted 7.7mm Lewis gun, fired from the rear cockpit. The prototype underwent official trials early in 1916, and 25 aircraft were ordered for the RFC, but this contract was subsequently cancelled, and there is no evidence that any Avro 521 other than the prototype (which crashed at Upavon on 21 September 1916) was built.

Engine: 110hp Clerget 9Z nine-cylinder rotary
Take-off weight: 905 kg / 1995 lb
Empty weight: 522 kg / 1151 lb
Wingspan: 9.14 m / 30 ft 0 in
Length: 8.58 m / 28 ft 2 in
Wing area: 24.71 sq.m / 265.98 sq ft
Max. speed: 145 km/h / 90 mph
Armament: 1 x 7.7mm Lewis gun

 

 


Copyright © 2017 all-aero. All Rights Reserved.
Joomla! is Free Software released under the GNU General Public License.