Armstrong Whitworth F.K.3
When W G Armstrong, Whitworth & Co received a contract in 1914 to build B.E.2 aircraft for the Royal Flying Corps and the Royal New Zealand Air Service, it offered to design and build a simpler but equally efficient two-seat trainer aircraft instead. Similar in configuration to the B.E. in its initial state, with separated cockpits for pilot and observer, the Frederik Koolhoven designed F.K.3 construction started in August 1915.
Only one RFC squadron used F.K.3s operationally; 47 Squadron in Macedonia, where they became a bomber and general reconnaissance machine from late 1916 until the Armistice. On October 31, 1918, the RAF had a total of 62 F.K.3s still on charge. At least four of these went onto the post-1918 Civil Register as G-EABY (ex-119629), G-EABZ (ex-B9518), G-EAEU (ex-B9612) and G-EALK (ex-B9603).
Engine: RAF.1a, 90 hp or Beardmore, 120 hp
Span: 12.2 m (40 ft)
Length: 8.8 m (29 ft)
Height: 3.6 m (11 ft 10.75 in)
Empty weight: 762 kg / 1682 lb
Loaded weight: 932 kg / 2056 lb
Maximum speed: 142 km/h (88 mph) at 1980 m (6500 ft)
Service ceiling: 3962 m (13 000 ft)