Main Menu

Wilcox White Ghost
 
 Wilcox-WhitGhst
 
Mr. Wilcox is now engaged at the factory of Moore and Morgen automobile body manufactures, 600 W. Fifth Street, here in the City of New York, building two more aeroplanes, which will be ready to try out at Garden City, L. 1., in about two or three weeks. Louis Strang has purchased one of these machine for $4,500. An effort is being made to have the other one ready for the International Aviation Meet at Belmont Park, L. 1., to defend the Cup won by Glen Curtis at Rheims. The machine which Wilcox has called the "White Ghost" will be operated by a professional aviator who has taken part in aero races abroad.

The Wilcox Aeroplane is modelled upon the Farnam style, but has a large number of decided improvements which, according to Captain Baldwin, make it the steadiest aeroplane on the field. Wilcox has formed a stock company for the purpose of building aeroplanes and has registered his machines in the United States Aeronautic Reserve in which about one thousand aeroplanes have been recorded. Aviators making the above registration, agree to give the use of their machines to the Government as scouts, absolutely free, should there be any wars.
Built in 1910 by Phillip W. Wilcox, the White Ghost was a two-place open cockpit biplane powered by a 50hp Rinek engine.
 
 
 
Wilcox The Columbia
 
In 1910 Philip W. Wilcox built his first aeroplane as the required thesis in the Civil Engineering Department, in the University carpenter shop and christened it, "The Columbia." At the end of the spring term, the machine was taken out to Garden City, IL., and assembled at the Triaca School of Aviation. This work required about a month for completion. After the aeroplane had been put together, an engine from the Eastern Cordage Cos., weighing 275 pounds and developing fifty horsepower, was installed. The engine was constructed of cast iron cylinders pressed in macadamite.

The finishing touches on the aeroplane were completed about the fifteenth of June and the machine was taken out for a trial. But the engine refused to work on account of water leaking into the cylinders. Two new cylinders were then obtained from the Eastern Cordage Cos., and preparations made for another trial. Louis Strang, the famous automobile driver, who has become an enthusiastic aviator, was engaged to make the flight. The performance, however, was a failure, due to lack of speed, caused by trouble with the radiator. In running around the field, one of the wheels ran into a stump and the aeroplane was damaged to the extent of $400, Strang escaped from injury, only by a miracle.

It required three or four weeks to make the necessary repairs and get the machine ready for another flight. The next attempt was made by C. K. Hamilton. Owing to a defect in the running gear the machine collapsed after running about 200 feet, causing another smash-up. Hamilton, however, escaped any serious injury. After this unsuccessful flight, the design of the running gear was changed from the Farman style to the Curtis type.

After making this change Wilcox decided to try out the machine himself. The aeroplane went up like a bird to a height of one hundred or more feet and flew about three-fourths of a mile, circled, returned to the field and made a beautiful landing near the starting point Wilcox was so overcome with this successful flight and excitement, that he had to be dragged from the machine by Captain Baldwin, Clifford B. Harmon, Mr, Fairchilds and a number of other noted aviators who had witnessed the flight.

On the morning of June 26, Wilcox made another flight, but after he had reached a height of fifty feet, the propeller was caught by a wire and broken. The machine descended without damage. The necessary repairs were made, and another attempt was made on the afternoon of the same day. Due to lack of experience in guiding the aeroplane, the machine was overturned by the wind, fell to the ground and was broken to splinters, Wilcox escaped injury only by some mysterious chance.
 
 
 
Whitehead / Weisskopf Number 21
 
Circa 1901, the Number 21 was a single place open cockpit mid-wing monoplane, reportedly had an acetylene gas-powered motor. Silk-covered, twin-tractor powered glider with a birdlike appearance (one of some two dozen Whitehead designs) was claimed by Whitehead, and his many supporters, to have attained powered flight two years before the Wright brothers, on 21 November 1901, but there apparently is no grounded substantiation.
 
A replica of this craft was built by Otto Timm, for the 1938 film, "Men With Wings," and another by Andy Kosch in 1986.
 
 
 
Wilbur 1931 Airplane
 
In 1931 Joe W Wilbur of Exeter NH., USA built a two place, open cockpit, monoplane N998M c/n M-2A. Powered by an 80hp Anzani, it was sold on 15 March 1937 and relocated in New Jersey. It was scrapped on 17 March 1938.
 
 
 
Whitehead / Weisskopf 1911
 
 White-11-01
Gustav Whitehead with his daughter Rose
 
A single place multi-rotor type consisting of an open, tubular framework, carrying two rows of 6' lifting screws on either side of the central frame.
 
 White-11-02
 
Probably the vehicle was powered with Whitehead's own engine, fuelled by acetylene.
 
Whitehead is claimed to have achieved powered flight with this monoplane at Fairfield, Connecticut on August 14, 1901 – more than two years before the Wright brothers’ first flight at Kitty Hawk. In 1968 the state of Connecticut officially recognized Whitehead as the “Father of Connecticut Aviation”.
 

In the Fairfield field, Gustave Whitehead, taking control of an aircraft of his own design, a 21-horsepower monoplane-type model with 12 horsepower, managed to fly over no less than 850 meters at an altitude of about 15 meters, in the presence of a few witnesses, including a journalist.

 
White-11-03
 
 
 
 


Copyright © 2018 all-aero. All Rights Reserved.
Joomla! is Free Software released under the GNU General Public License.