RNAS Experimental Construction Depot, Port Victoria
Commissioned early in 1915 on the Isle of Grain as the RN Aeroplane Repair Depot, and named Port Victoria to distinguish it from the original air station. Experimental Armament Section set up alongside, followed in 1916 by the Seaplane Test Flight. Began construction in 1916 with the P.V.1, a Sopwith Baby fuselage with modified wings and enlarged floats. There followed a series of seaplane prototypes, the Grain Kitten and Eastchurch Kitten landplanes and the final type to be built by the ECD, the Grain Griffin, a converted Sopwith B.1 single-seat bomber. The Depot was subsequently renamed the Marine Experimental Aircraft Depot.