Founded January 1928 as Poland's National Aircraft Establishment, built the P.1 single-seat fighter monoplane with Hispano-Suiza engine in 1929-1930, and subsequently the P.11 single-seat fighter and P.19 cabin monoplane. The PZL Los medium bomber of 1937 was followed by the Wilk twin-engined fighter, Sum light bomber and Mewa reconnaissance monoplane by the beginning of Second World War. Factories at Warsaw- Okecie (original) and Mielec, latter used by occupying Germans as forced-labour Heinkel factory 1940-44.
Under political reorganization in 1956, the Polish aircraft industry was revived with production of Soviet aircraft and some indigenous types. In foreign markets most Polish aircraft subsequently appeared under the PZL title, such as the PZL-101 Gawron and PZL-104 Wilga utility aircraft of 1960 and 1962 respectively, the first being a development of the Yak-12. The Gawron was used extensively as an agricultural aircraft, along with the PZL-built An-2 biplane, but later purpose-built dusters and sprayers were built. PZL types are produced under three separate organizations: PZL "Warszawa-Okecie" SA, WSK "PZL-Mielec" SA, and PZL-Swidnik SA.