The firm of Josef Oberlerchner Holzindustrie had become the foremost Austrian sailplane manufacturer, producing over 4,000 gliders and powered aircraft between 1941 and 1967, of which the Mg 19 tandem two-seater trainer and the Mg 23 high performance single-seater were the most important postwar types. Before the war Austria had produced some notable sailplanes, in particular the Mg series designed by Ing Erwin Musger which culminated in the Mg 19 and Mg 23.
A former manufacturer of sailplanes, Oberlerchner flew a prototype all-wood two-seat JOB 5 lightplane in 1958. The developed JOB 15 four-seater, which had metal/wood/glassfibre construction, entered production in 1961, powered by a Lycoming engine. It remained in service with Austrian and other European aero clubs, especially as a glider tug.