The Xenoah firm has been around since 1910 and early on manufactured various engines for lightplanes. Their airframe department built a plane for the Aeronautical Research Institute of Tokyo University in 1937, and with it they established a world record for nonstop closed-course max distance flight. After World War II Xenoah produced many piston engines for trainers and engine parts for Japan's Self Defense Forces. They have been involved in overhauling piston engines for civil and military planes.
The Xenoah Company is now called Komatsu Xenoah, since the firm was taken over by Kornatsu Co., Ltd., Japan's leading manufacturer of bulldozers and other earthmoving equipment.