Vega Aircraft Corp
Vega Airplane Company
Vega Airplane Co was known formerly as Airover Company, formed at Burbank, California, as associated company of Lockheed Aircraft Corporation in 1937. Began research/development experiments with light aircraft, devising (with Menasco) a unit called Unitwin; two small engines coupled side-byside to drive single propeller flight-tested in Lockheed Altair in 1938. Then designed five/six-seat Starliner twin-tailed low-wing cabin monoplane using similar powerplant. Small batch of radio-controlled targets built in 1939. Factory expanded 1940, and mid-year received contract to build large numbers of Lockheed Ventura bombers for RAF. Then, in conjunction with Boeing and Douglas, mass-produced Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress bombers; became wholly owned subsidiary of Lockheed in 1941 as Vega Aircraft Corporation.
From 1941 Vega Aircraft Corp became Vega Airplane Company; continued production of Lockheed-Vega B-34 Ventura twin-engined medium bomber for USAAF/USN/RAF and Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress for USAAF between 1941 and 1944. Absorbed into Lockheed Aircraft Corporation 30 November 1943; name Vega abandoned; Vega plant became Lockheed's Factory A. Ventura B-34 production ended 1943; PV-1 naval version and Boeing B-17 manufacture continued until 1944 under responsibility of Lockheed.