United States Army Engineering Division
Established at McCook Field, Ohio, the US Army Engineering Division was concerned with the design, development and manufacture of aircraft for the US Army. These included the FVL-8 and BVL-12, biplane fighter and bomber respectively, designed by Italian Ottorino Pomilio; USD-9 version of the British Airco D.H.9; XB-1 version of the Bristol F.2B Fighter; M-1 and MAT communications aircraft designed by Alfred Verville and built by the Sperry Aircraft Company; three R-3 low-wing monoplane racing aircraft by the same Verville/Sperry combination; VCP-1 (Verville-Clark Pursuit) of 1918; NBL-1 'Barling' bomber designed by Briton Walter Barling and built by Witteman- Lewis Aircraft Corporation; and GA-1, or G.A.X. (Ground Attack Experimental), built by the Boeing Company. With establishment of the USAAC in 1926, the Engineering Division was replaced at McCook Field by the Materiel Division.