Udet Flugzeubau GmbH
German First World War air ace Ernst Udet lent his name to this company, established near Munich in 1921 by American William Pohl. The Udet U-1 single-seat lightplane of 1922 was followed by a two-seat U-2; more powerful U-4; cabin monoplane U-5; another ultralight two-seat U-6; parasol-winged single-seat U-7 Kolibri; small airliner U-8; and an 11 seat high-wing transport U-11 Kondor. Udet left the company in 1925, after agreeing to production of a light training biplane, the Udet U-12 Flamingo, destined to become the company's best-known aircraft. A two-seat open-cockpit biplane of wooden construction, it was demonstrated throughout the world by Udet. Although the company went out of business in 1925, Flamingo production continued as Bayerische Flugzeugwerke AG in Germany, as well as in Austria, Hungary and Latvia. It served in many roles, notably as a trainer with the German civil flying clubs and at clandestine Luftwaffe pilot training centres.