In 1926 the Stinson Aeroplane Syndicate, West Detroit, Michigan, founded by E. A. Stinson, made Detroiter four passenger biplane designed jointly by Stinson and F. Verville. Name Detroiter was confusingly retained for later monoplanes. Three Detroiter biplanes acquired in 1926 by Northwest Airways Inc, at which time manufacturing company renamed Stinson Airplane Corporation. Detroiters of several forms used widely by commercial and private operators; e.g. flew first regular airmail service in China. Detroiter monoplanes much developed, though general type was claimed as first U.S. aircraft with soundproofed and heated cabin, engine starter and wheel brakes. Detroiter Junior of 1928 was scaled-down version for private and executive work. Detroiters established several records, including 174 hr airborne, July 1929. About 1933 new tapered wing form adopted for Reliant single-engined series, which succeeded Detroiter line. Reliant series was especially successful and built in great quantities, 500 being transferred to Royal Navy under Lend-Lease. Voyager was later two-seat high-wing monoplane.
Sentinel liaison type very widely used under Vultee name.
By the end of 1947, Stinson Aircraft had built over 5200 Voyagers, including a Station agon version, but by then the boom had ended and 200 unsold Voyagers were parked at Willow Run Airport.
In July 1948 the Stinson factory was closed and five month later Convair sold Stinson Aircraft to Piper Aircraft. The company that Eddie Stinson had founded 22 years earlier had built over 12,000 aircraft.