Slingsby Sailplanes Ltd
Slingsby Aircraft Company Ltd
In 1938, at Kirbymoorside, Yorkshire, Slingsby Sailplanes Ltd built Kirby Kitten single-seat monoplane, designed by F. N. Slingsby. Chiefly famous for gliders, Motor Tutor of 1948 was Slingsby Tutor glider with engine and landing gear. Slingsby/Osboume Twin Cadet of 1969 had two small engines outboard. Other conversions made, but Type 61 Falke was basically German Scheibe. Also built replicas of Sopwith Camel, Rumpler, etc.
Name changed, and in 1969 Slingsby Aircraft Company Ltd. ran into financial difficulties and was acquired by Vickers Ltd, resuming construction of gliders. The fibreglass work which was by then a speciality was continued, but aimed more at the military and marine environment, such as bathyspheres and small submarines.
Slingsby Aviation Ltd. is member of ML Holdings Plc group and offers professional pilot training and subcontract component building, in addition to sales of the T67 Firefly side-by-side two-seat civil/military piston-engined trainer and private aerobatic-capable lightplane (first flown May 1981, as license-built Fournier RF6B).
Jim Tucker came along later and bought the company, being a major shareholder of Slingsby Aviation which continues to produce for military GRP contracts and underwater craft, as well as hovercraft and gondolas for airships.